Thursday, June 9, 2011

Next time Chloe does that, she's on her own

It's really hot today, nearly 100 degrees, and I'm thinking about my sister's huskie-mix dog, Chloe. Chloe is white with blue eyes and loves to run. She doesn't seem to let the heat bother her and I can cite proof of that, lol!

About five summers ago, on a hot, humid June (early) evening, I was at my sister's house with my father, who had lung cancer. We were about to sit down to enjoy cool treats when my sister asked me to change Chloe's leash so the dog could be brought indoors. So I went out in the heat, pet Chloe and proceeded to switch her leashes. No sooner than I released one leash and was about to click on the other when Chloe took off.

Chloe ran to the neighbor's lawn half a block away before turning around, crossing the street, and running to one of the spacious lawns there. Of course, I was afraid that Chloe would be hit by a car and chased her across that lawn, plus three lawns after that. Seeing Chloe stop and look back at me before taking off again, I realized that she was having fun. Fortunately, one of the neighbors happened to be outside and I shouted for him to hold Chloe. He knew Chloe and caught and held her until I was able to catch up. My sister also drove up in her Jeep and before long, we were all back at her house.

Needless to say, I was relieved that everything turned out ok, in spite of my sweat-soaked top, jeans and hair. My dad had walked to the corner and was looking for us. As I got out of the Jeep, I told my sister that the next time Chloe pulled that stunt, I wasn't going to chase after her, especially in hot, humid weather.

And I haven't since.

No comments:

Post a Comment