Tuesday, June 21, 2011

An animal lies injured on the street. What can/should you do?

Just recently, there was a report about a young woman who was killed while trying to save an injured dog by a hit and run driver. That driver remains on the loose. The young woman/good samaritan is gone from this life. And the dog died anyway. It must have been so badly injured that it had to be euthanized. A tragedy if there ever was one.

At the same time, this shows that a few people do love and care about animals and want to help them. Often, in an emergency, such as trying to assist an injured animal, the rescuer has little idea of what to do and how to do it. I couldn't see myself being in that situation. My first impulse would be to try to place the dog on a jacket or coat placed flat on the ground and getting it to one side of the road, then calling for help. But what should I really be thinking and then doing during such a critical time? How much risk should I consider taking regarding my life and the life of an injured animal? That sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment