Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Owner is forced to give up his dog. Now what?

I think that one of the hardest things to do is to give up a dog that you've owned for a few years in a row to a shelter. I'd have a hard time doing that myself. But if I were up and years and had a few health issues, I'd probably have no other option ----unless I could find a family member who would agree to care for my pet.

That probably would not happen.

But today, I read an article about this older guy who had to go to an assisted living facility --- and give up a dog he owned for eight years. On the day that he bought the dog to the shelter, he asked the staff if he could walk his dog one last time. And the staff agreed. That turned out to be an emotional event for staff and other people. When it was over, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Got to be honest. I cried as I read this story.

Because this event had such an impact, the shelter did find a great person to take care of the dog, thanks to the efforts of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Stern. The dog is going to have an excellent home!  I know, I know, this won't be much of a consolation for the original owner. He'll still think about and miss his dog. He won't be able to see or pet his dog anymore, unless of course, the new owner can bring the dog to the assisted-living facility to see its previous master.

But at least, the dog now is assured of a good home for the rest of its life. It's a win-win situation for the dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment