Friday, February 4, 2011

How long should you leave your dog outside in the cold?

I'm really surprised to see how many people who leave their dogs in the backyard for an extended period of time in the cold, like all morning long. That doesn't seem to be humane. And if I were a dog, I'd be very uncomfortable after a few minutes outside in the cold, and would want to get back in the house asap.

Also, none of the dogs left outside seemed to be supervised. That is, there wasn't a person peering out the window to check on the dog every so often. I mean, what's up with that?  How can such people be allowed to own a dog, or any other animal for that matter? And how would they like it if THEIR partners forced them to stay outside in the cold?

I'm not saying that a dog should not be allowed outside, even in the cold, for a few minutes. My sister, for example, lets her dogs out in the backyard for a few minutes. She also checks up on them to make sure that they are all right, and then lets them in when they paw at the door. But for an entire morning or day?  I think that leaving a dog out that long is heartless and cruel.  It's also unfair to the neighbors who are forced to listen to barking and/or howling for a long time.

Thank God that very few heartless dog owners even tried this and get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment