Sunday, February 6, 2011

giving a dog a bath

From what I've seen and heard, giving a dog a bath is not fun. It's often a messy, soaking affair where everyone gets splashed except the dog. This was especially true at my friend's house, where her father attempted to give the family's shaggy dog, Mitzi, a bath. He prepared by having a wooden tub half filled with tepid, soapy water. Then he made the biggest mistake by plunking Mitzi in the drink. The poor man did not get an opportunity to scrub Mitzi down because Mitzi leaped out of that tub like greased lightning, ran to the open door and ran outside, leaving a trail of suds behind her.

That was the funniest thing to watch. Needless to say, Mitzi went unwashed for another couple of days or weeks, I forget which.

Another dog I knew was in a similar position of needing a bath. My now-deceased aunt must have tried to give her little terrier, Skippy, a bath and failed miserably. From that point on, every time my aunt said the word "bath" to Skippy, the dog would growl and show his teeth. That was so funny to witness and I wished that I had a picture of Skippy doing just that. I don't know how he was bathed after that or by whom. My aunt gave up after that attempt.

Before adopting any dog, one of the first things I would want to find out is the best way to bathe him or her. I have a few ideas as to how I could do this, but somehow, too much would go wrong and my dog would join the ranks of the unbathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment