Thursday, February 3, 2011

get a professional dog trainer ---- or not?

Before training my dog, I think that I would spend some time getting to know it and its behavior. Of course, I would call it by name and take it for walks. I'd buy a few toys and find out which ones appealed to the dog. Then I;d begin simple training, like having the dog walking with me instead of pulling at its leash all of the time and find out what caused it to bark if that was an issue.

There are quite a few books on dog training and a lot of them include instructions for basic training. The instructions are easy and are sometimes accompanied by photos or drawings. Of course, the "doing" part is the most challenging and at that point, I might even consider a professional trainer.

Not just any old professional trainer, but one that was recommended, charged reasonable prices, did a great job and loved dogs. Already, the idea of getting a professional trainer seems to involve a lot of hassle and at this point, I'm not so sure that I would want to go through all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment