Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Do dogs need to wear sweaters outside?

I think that it all depends on how thin or thick a given dog's fur coat seems to be. A dog such as a husky mix just loves cold weather and romping around in the snow. But a greyhound or other dog who doesn't have a shaggy coat would tend to freeze faster, in my opinion.

Of course, I've put myself in the dog's place, imagining myself to step outside for a walk with my human and boom, feel the cold whoosh at me the minute the door opens. To explain this a bit further, I would have to research, but off the top of my head, I think that it is safe to say that such a dog would quickly dodge back inside the house and resist his human's urging him to go out for a walk.

Dogs may think differently, though. I've seen them being walked in the coldest temperatures, and they all seemed to take things, including the cold, in stride. But I'm sure that if any of those dogs were left outside for any length of time, they would feel the cold and shiver in it, pretty much the same as people would.

No comments:

Post a Comment