Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Are cats really smarter than dogs, or vice versa?

Some time ago, I had a brief conversation with an ex-dog owner. According to that lady, cats are smarter than dogs. She's got about five cats and nearly ten years ago, gave me a young cat named Tabitha. I loved cats and Tabitha was the light of my life. She was sweet and playful, but never destructive. When I lost her four years ago, I wanted to die, really. She died from natural causes having to do with kidney failure.

But back to dogs.

Although I don't doubt for a minute that dogs are smart animals, I have mixed feelings about them. From what I have seen and experienced, I think that dogs, for the most part, are very dependent on their owners for everything. And maybe that's the way it should be. Also, dogs can be very affectionate and loyal. When my dad was dying of Stage IV lung cancer, my sister's dog, Chloe, never left his side. When he rested in bed, Chloe rested right next to him. She always sat near him and seemed to be a big comfort.

So I think that whether dogs are smarter than cats or vice-versa is a subjective thing, especially if you feel very biased toward dogs or cats. It shouldn't matter though, because cats AND dogs are in this physical life for a reason and that reason is to teach us about unconditional love. That's probably the biggest lesson of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment