Friday, October 1, 2010

Adopt a shelter dog --- or not?

Until recently, I never paid much attention at all to dogs at a shelter. Every time I visited a shelter, I heard a lot of barking dogs and ignored them. My goal was to adopt an adult cat. As much as I love kittens, I know that they need to be trained and that they have their own little personalities. So do puppies and dogs.

So as much as I like puppies and think that they are cute, I wouldn't adopt one. Too much work.

What I'd focus on is finding an adult dog that didn't bark a lot for nothing. That leaves out the smaller dogs whose barking can be quite shrill.

And to adopt any dog, I'd certainly visit a shelter. For one thing, the dogs have received veterinary care, food and attention and are basically healthy. They've had all of the necessary shots, for the most part. All you have to worry about is finding a dog that appeals to you for whatever reason. And thanks to the variety of dogs at a shelter, you may just luck out. It's a win-win situation. The dog gets a home and you get a nice companion who will love you unconditionally. But ultimately, the choice is yours.

As a side note, you can just forget puppy mills, which should be banned in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment