Thursday, September 30, 2010

The real expense of owning a dog. Is there such a thing?

Okay, dog food is going to be expensive. I should know. I own 4 cats and buy canned Friskies food for them and frequently pay a dollar ninety-nine for an 18 oz. bag of dry food. Dog food prices are comparable. And during a recent visit to PetSmart, I've found that prices aren't necessarily cheaper and that so-called good brands are not featured, but are likely to be more expensive when they are.

That takes care of food, a major expense no matter which way you look at it.

Another expense involves visits to the vet for examinations and shots. If the dog (or cat) becomes ill, there's an added expense right there at a time when money is tight to begin with. If I were pressed for a specific answer, I would definitely factor in routine vet visits.

Other items include a dog bed, toys, leashes, collars, medications, etc.

And last, but not least, a dog must be licensed, so a yearly fee must be paid to the local municipality.

Add the costs of these items and you'll get a pretty good idea on what you'll be paying to own a dog. I already have and believe me, it isn't cheap. Not that I ever believed that owning a dog would be cheap. More like a careful consideration of what's involved, expense wise. Have to be practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment