Saturday, August 29, 2009

Possible way to distract a dog

Yelling and pleading with dogs to stop doing this or that never works. Found that out from experience and research.

I've recently thought of an idea to distract a dog that just might work.

And the idea is, get him to do a trick that he already knows how to do. What kind of trick? Well, something that the dog enjoys doing anyway and does it on command, immediately. How neat is that?

Next time I have to walk my sister's dogs, I'm going to try it. First, I'll teach them a new trick, such as playing dead or holding up a front paw to "shake hands." This will take some time, but it will be worth a shot. Then once the dog in qusstion has mastered this trick, and he's out on a walk and becomes distracted, I'll test the magical command and see if that works.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do when you deal with wayward dogs, so long as what you do is humane.

2 comments:

  1. I find the best thing is to work on training in a distraction filled location

    I’m doing my rounds and just wanted to pop by and thank you for commenting at my blog last month. I appreciate your input.

    DogsDeserveFreedom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a point. The problem is that my sister lives in a nice area with very few distractions, such as an occasional squirrel or a neighbor's barking dog. Other than that, it's pretty quiet. Will remember that point, though.

    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete