Wednesday, July 22, 2009

turning the tables around for a dog whose bad habit is tugging at her leash

Thinking about my sister's dog, Chloe, I would probably saved myself a lot of trouble had I set things right with that dog in the first place.

Like getting Chloe to walk calmly on the leash. Now Chloe is not a puppy. She's very strong and when she tugs, she can literally drag you anywhere she wants.

Aside from the probable fact that Chloe did not receive obedience training, I should stood still while holding tightly to Chloe's leash and let her keep tugging. Maybe at some point, she would have stopped and looked at me, as a few books on dog training suggest. Then I would have walked in the opposite direction with the dog in tow. After a few brief sessions like that, Chloe might have stopped her tugging and walked in a more civilized manner.

But perhaps, this is merely wishful thinking. After all, Chloe has been allowed to tug as much as she wants to, probably because her master thinks such tugging is only natural and even cute! Well, I, for one, don't think so, and am grateful that I don't get stuck walking her on a daily basis. Now how stressful is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment